Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Liberalism or Tradition? Which Aspect Attracts You most in Kivanç?


This question is almost inevitable when one sees the extent of popularity that Kivanç reached, and particularly among the Arabic community in the last 2 months or so.

The point here is whether one is attracted to him because he is a "westernized" version of Muslim guys, and therefore, many girls' dream-come-true man, or because he is displays a profound attachment to the values and traditions that are related to his culture.

Personally, I am "in love" with the combination of those two aspects. I really admire his liberal way of being (reflected in his artistic choices, the tatoos on his body, his mode of life, etc) but also his respect to values and deep commitment as a person, a family member, and certainly a friend and a colleague. I find this combination quite rich and unique, and maybe it is even a reflection of the Turkish culture itself which is quite exceptional as well...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What attracts me is the mixture of both aspects. It seems to me that the ''tatli package'' includes these two aspects that are very appealing to some people, including me.

Nat said...

I agree with u Issrar, it is indeed this very special package that is of interest to me and I guess to many Arab / Muslim people who have grasped the essence of Kivanç's personality and do love him for this reason beside his amazing talents of course. Especially we, girls, in the modern Arab world, have an inclination toward this kind of mixtures which is neither devoid of values nor excessively bent on matters of religion and fanatic interpretations of identity. Kivanç offers kind of model (not necessarily to follow) but that is refreshing and stimulating to a large extent...